19 East 72nd Street, one of Manhattan’s premier residential buildings, was designed by Rosario Candela and Mott B. Schmidt and completed in 1937. The Art Deco-inspired public spaces reflect the eclectic mix of Candela and Schmidt, and include facade and garden sculptures by C. Paul Jennewein.
Over time, renovations of the vestibule, entrance hall and two elevator lobbies led to the replacement of original wall and ceiling finishes with darker, patterned finishes, as well as the replacement of lighting and much of the furniture. The restoration returned the spaces to their original appearance. Using microscopic analysis of the historic finishes, the original glazed finishes were recreated. Original stone floors and wood doors were restored and lighting was recreated based on archival photographs. Existing original furniture was restored, and new pieces fabricated to match those shown in the archival photographs. The project restored the original lighter, brighter character of the rooms.