Temple Israel of the City of New York, founded in 1870, offers worship services, religious education and community programs for a Reform congregation of over 700 families in a mid-60s mixed-use structure at 112 East 75th Street. The current spaces no longer serve the needs of today’s congregation, and after a half century of constant use and wear the building systems and finishes have far exceeded their useful life.
Since 2012 PBDW has been engaged to provide programming, planning, and concept design options to modernize and expand the existing structure. For the recent debut of of the public phase of their capital campaign, PBDW has proposed a cutting edge synagogue for the 21st century. Building renovation and expansion includes relocation and improvements to the worship spaces. A larger chapel at street level is expandable during the High Holy Days, while the existing main sanctuary is raised and reconfigured to make it more usable on a regular basis. Other improvements include enhancing the temple’s presence on East 75th Street. A new street façade of Jerusalem limestone and multicolor dichroic glass inserts will both contrast and compliment the more transparent ground floor and 4- story educational addition above. The addition, enclosed in clear and multicolor dichroic glass and Jerusalem limestone panels will accommodate an expanded program of religious classrooms and meeting rooms, including a popular early childhood program that has direct access to outdoor space.