New-York historical society
New York, NY | 52,000 SF (total) | Ongoing
Established in 1804, the New-York Historical Society is New York’s first museum and remains one of the city’s premier cultural and historical institutions. PBDW has a longstanding relationship with the Society, having worked with them since 2005 on multiple projects. Our working relationship began when the Society engaged PBDW to help revitalize the institution and transform their closed-off and less-than-welcoming building into one that invites the public through its architecture and programming. The initial project was comprised of the development of a master plan, renovations to the Central Park West and 77th Street entrances, infrastructure upgrades, and the redesign of the first floor entrance gallery, auditorium, visitor services, and the Children’s Gallery.
In 2013, PBDW was invited to renovate the Society’s fourth floor galleries. The project’s scope included the first-of-its-kind gallery dedicated to the role of women in American history, the renovation of the Luce Center galleries, a new education technology center, a gallery lounge and, finally, a new Tiffany Gallery to exhibit the Society’s collection of Tiffany lamps.
PBDW is currently working on a new project for the Society: a re-creation of the Oval Office.
AIA New York Chapter: Design Award, 2013
New York Landmarks Conservancy: Lucy G. Moses Award, 2011
"New-York Historical Society previews new Gallery of Tiffany Lamps," The Architect’s Newspaper
“New-York Historical Society;s revamped fourth floor traces NYC’s history,” Curbed New York
“Eva Jiřičná's Tiffany Gallery for the New-York Historical Society,” Architectural Record