Rhinebeck, NY | 40,000 SF | Anticipated Completion Spring 2020
This 1902 landmark structure was designed by Stanford White to accommodate guest quarters and large-scale indoor recreation on the estate of John Jacob Astor IV. Working with the previous owner, PBDW restored the original interior and exterior architecture, but the property changed hands before we had a chance to install appropriate systems to support modern family and guest use.
Keeping in mind the overall significance and beauty of the historic structure, PBDW designed amenities such as en-suite bathrooms for each bedroom and enlarged kitchen and pantry for family use, as well as a second kitchen for large catered events. New interventions replicate original ornament, preserving the building’s historic character. To minimize changes to original bedrooms, we created bathrooms from existing closet spaces.
We improved access to outdoor space including a new rooftop deck with commanding views of the Hudson River, and a planned double curved stair connecting the main floor to the play lawn one story below. Replacement of the miniature outdoor railroad, complete with station and garage is also planned. All designs for the exterior and grounds received the approval of the Rhinebeck Town Planning Board, who serve to help preserve the historic houses and landscape of the Hudson River Valley.
Excellence in Historic Preservation Award, Preservation League of New York State, 2009
“Check out these eight unmatched tennis courts from around the world,” The Architect’s Newspaper